A story to make your blood boil.
Prosecutors allege that neither the city nor the redevelopment agency maintained a wait list of accessible units for people with disabilities, as required by federal law. They also identified design problems in dozens of projects, such as:
• Balconies too narrow to be used by people in wheelchairs,
• Ramps and doorway thresholds too steep for wheelchairs to roll over,
• Steps that blocked access to common areas,
• Mailboxes, sinks and grab bars installed beyond the reach of wheelchair users,
• A lack of visual alarms and tactile signs to help residents with hearing or visual impairments.
This is total bullshit. Oops, we didn’t make accessible housing.